Last night marked the very first #SMMUChat, Social Media Marketing University’s (SMMU) new Twitter chat. The event was launched to give SMMU students and social business leaders an interactive platform to ask questions, learn about social media best practices and strategies and network with experts and peers.
Last night participants discussed SEO for results. Among some of the tips shared during the chat by John Souza, founder and chief strategist of Social Media Magic and SMMU were:
- There are three main components to every effective search engine optimization program: 1) site architecture, 2) content and 3) backlinks.
- When customers search the web they are looking for a solution to a problem they have or fulfillment of a specific need. Identify what these problems and needs are in order to develop a list of keywords that will attract the most traffic to your site.
- If you’re new to SEO, don’t go after keywords that are generating a million hits or more per month. Instead, to get the most out of your campaign, focus on words that are less competitive and are getting a maximum of 20,000 to 30,000 hits per month.
- Search engines need to know exactly what each webpage is about so keep your structure and content simple.
- Make sure each webpage has a strong headline and use a different title tag and headline tag on every page.
- When doing keyword research, look at the top three sites for all of your keywords. Use your competitors’ sites as a model when determining structure, content and keyword density.
- Search engines can’t see graphics, so a graphic labeled “Image 1” won’t contribute to your strategy. Instead, label your website graphics with keywords, for example, “Dance Studio Atlanta, Georgia” as a best practice.
- Be wary of ads claiming that they can get you on 1000 search engines. Google, Yahoo and Bing have approximately 99% of all search traffic in North America. So the other 997 sites represent only about 1% of the market.
- Never engineer content solely to increase your search engine rankings because it often comes across as gibberish to web visitors. Instead, write content for people that’s search engine-friendly.
- Never flood your webpages with keywords. Your site’s keyword density should be around 3%. If your competitors are around 5%, then you can bump your density up to be competitive.
Follow #SMMUChat every Wednesday night at 8 p.m. E.T. on Twitter by following the hashtag. You can use TweetGrid or TweetChat to help making participating in the chat easier.
Join #SMMUChat on Wednesday, November 2 to discuss Blogging for Business. We’ll be discussing how to leverage blogging to drive awareness and sales. Visit www.smmulive.com/smmuchat for more information and don’t forget to invite your friends and colleagues.